Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bacon+pancake= perfection

I have always loved pancakes, bacon and eggs for breakfast.  While I was pregnant I would crave it, mostly when I work up at 3 or 4 am because I couldn't sleep and would then lay and wait until 5ish to wake my husband and tell him I really wanted to go out for breakfast :-)  Being the awesome husband that he is he would wake up and we would go to our favorite little breakfast restaurant.  They have a special which is 2 pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage.  This is what I would get every time but no sausage, all extra crispy bacon.  This is a pretty normal breakfast but I have a certain way that I like to eat it.  First I would place the over medium egg on top of the pancake then I would break up the bacon into little pieces (hence the request for it to be extra crispy) and leave it in a pile on my plate.  Next I would cut up the egg and pancake at the same time and add salt and maple syrup.  For the finale I would mix it all together.  You get sweet and savory goodness all in one bite! 

With you now knowing my love for crispy bacon and pancakes I'll tell you my new favorite way to cook pancakes :-)  I have recently been cooking breakfast for dinner one night a week.  The hubs and I love breakfast and it's a cheap and easy dinner.  So here is what I did.  I cooked up the bacon, I like it extra extra crispy.  Make sure to cook the bacon, like my dad says,  low and slow.  For the longest time I would burn it to a crisp every time I cooked bacon but I have recently mastered it :-) 
After it's cooked place it on a plate with paper towels to soak up the excess grease then crumble it up like this.


 
Set that aside and make your pancake batter.  I personally prefer Bisquick.  Spoon some batter on the same pan that you cooked the bacon on (make sure to pour off the majority of the grease but leave a little bit).


 
A good rule I was taught by my dad was to wait until the pancake batter has started to bubble then you know it's ready to flip.  (FYI- my dad is the best breakfast cook ever hence the reason I keep saying what he taught me.)
 
Once the batter starts to bubble sprinkle some bacon on the batter and then flip.
 



This picture is the first one that I made and quickly found out that i needed to do it a little different.  Although I don't have a picture of the final product I figured out what to do.  Spoon a small about of batter on the pan, add bacon and then spoon a little more on top of the bacon and then flip.  This way you don't see the bacon :-)

Cooking them this way means one less step in my pancake and bacon goodness :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment